Email marketing has always been around, and with good reason. It’s the most straightforward and efficient way to communicate with your leads, grow them, and turn them into customers, and win in all other marketing channels.
In this guide, we’re going to take you through the entire process of setting up your email marketing enclosure so that you can purchase leads and generate sales 24/7.
What’s Email Marketing?
Email marketing is a highly successful digital marketing tool for sending emails to clients and customers. Effective marketing emails turn prospects into clients and transform one-time consumers into devoted, raving fans.
Pro Tip: Check out these best practices in digital marketing to improve the marketing skill.
This guide is for those who are able to commit to email marketing. If you’re unsure, you may want to read our guide to why you need to create a RIGHT NOW email list!
This is a long and comprehensive guide, so we’ve broken it down into various sections that you can get to using the links in the Table of Contents below.
By using this definitive guide, you’ll know: how to create an email list of targeted clients.
When to manage your emails at the highest open rates and click-through rates (CTRs).
How to optimize the cycle of cultivating your leads and transforming your prospects into customers.
Sound sweet, huh?
Let’s dive into the most detailed e-mail marketing guide on the Internet.
Table of Contents Why e-mail marketing?
Getting Started Increasing Your Email List Choosing an Email Service Segmenting Your Email List Improving Open Rates Automated Email Marketing Frequently Asked Questions The Value of Email Marketing We’ve dealt with the biggest issue, what is email marketing, but haven’t gotten into why email marketing is so important to your business. Now, let’s think about that.
Despite the increase of social media and unsolicited spam email (which, by the way, is never a good marketing strategy), email remains the most successful way to manage leads and transform them into customers.
There are several reasons why email marketing should be one of your top priorities, but here’s the top 3:1. Email is the # 1 medium of contact. Do you know that at least 99 percent of consumers review their emails on a regular basis? This can’t be said of any other medium of communication.
2. You own the chart. Your account (along with all your fans and posts) could be suspended or deleted at any time, for any reason, without warning, on any social media site. You do, however, own your email address. No one may take the lead away from you.
3. Email is only turning better. People who buy email advertised goods spend 138% more than those who do not accept email offers. In reality, email marketing has a ROI (investment return) of 4400 per cent. This is massive! And if you’re thinking if social media converts even more, think again: the average order value of an email is at least three times higher than that of social media.
Email is literally the best way to make online sales.
How-To: Email Marketing Are you wondering how to get started with email marketing? Email marketing is made up of a few moving pieces, but that doesn’t mean it has to be difficult. Here’s how it’s going to break down … you start with your chart. OptinMonster made it super quick to start gathering leads right away, even without an email marketing program, with our Monster Leads integration.
With Monster Leads, you can start building your email list, and even begin to reach out to the leads, while keeping your leads securely stored inside your OptinMonster dashboard. So, when you’re ready, you’ll add an email service provider. There’s a lot of them out there, but we’re taking the guesswork out and making it very easy to pick the best one for you and your goals.
After these two stages, it’s just a matter of improving your lists and your marketing so that you can reach out to your audience and really connect with them. Plus, you’re going to be able to set up some automation in your email service that will make it much simpler for you.
Ready to hop in here? Let’s do it!
Growing The Email List What most people are doing when they decide to create an email list is adding an opt-in form on their website and hoping that people can sign up. Unfortunately, this technique is typically not working very well.
You need to attract people with a convincing offer to expand your email list. You need a magnet for lead.
Lead Magnet Blueprint What’s a Lead Magnet?
A lead magnet (a.k.a. optin bribe) is a good item that you give away for free in return for an email address. It doesn’t have to cost you anything to make; most lead magnets are digital materials such as PDFs, MP3 audio files, or videos that you can produce at minimal to no cost.
It can be anything you want, as long as it gives value to your guests for free.
Some common lead magnet examples include: ebooks A cheat sheet of tips or tools White papers or case studies A webinar Free trials or samples A free quote or consultation Quizzes or self-assessment A coupon The possibilities are endless!
For even more lead magnet ideas, check out our list of lead magnet ideas to add to your email list.
Learn More: Don’t you know how to build a lead magnet or need step-by-step guidance? OptinMonster customers have free access to How to Build a Lead Magnet at OptinMonster University!
What’s a good lead magnet?
You already know that a lead magnet needs to provide interest free of charge. But if you want your lead magnet to be highly effective, here are 5 criteria to consider: 1. Simple to consume: lead magnets are only successful when the viewer uses them, so if you deliver a 300-page essay, you won’t gain momentum.
2. Actionable: Lead magnets need to have an actionable resource, skill set, or valuable information that can be used by your audience.
3. Creates measurable improvement: Customers want to buy goods and services if they perform well. Your lead magnet will be effective if it is as good as your products and services.
4. Relevant: If you have done your homework on your prospects, you will have no trouble coming up with a magnet lead subject that solves problems.
5. Immediately available: People love instant gratification, so give it to them right there and there. Test out 4 ways to send a lead magnet and see how easy it is to get your lead magnet out with OptinMonster.
Let’s take a look at a couple of real-life magnet cases.
At OptinMonster, we share a list of 12 tested techniques for turning visitors into subscribers.
OptinMonster Lead Magnet Syed Balkhi provides a list of tools and resources for an online company.
Syed Balkhi Toolkit Popup Here’s another example of a lead magnet that we used to update content to a particular blog post.
Now that you know what a lead magnet is and how to create a highly efficient one, you will need to create your optin form.
How to Build an Optin Form that Converts The aim of your optin form is to express the great benefit of your lead magnet, so that your website visitors can subscribe to your email newsletters in exchange for a lead magnet.
To build an optin type that converts, you need to have the following components: 1. Enticing headline: Make sure your headline clearly explains the great value of your lead magnet 2. Helpful summary: Is your definition short, simple and specific? Using bullet points to help the reader easily check what they’re receiving.
3. Attractive visuals: provide a lead magnet image if you can (like a mockup of your eBook). A picture of a person looking at the optin form is also a perfect way to improve conversions. We have a great list of visual content creation resources that can help you make awesome visuals.
4. Easy form: Don’t bother asking for more than a first name and an email address. Asking for too much details would ruin your conversions too fast.
5. Compelling the subscription button: Make sure you use a contrasting color for your subscription icon, so that it actually appears on the screen. Sometimes, using a non-generic e-mail copy that causes people to click right away (“Send me the 7 steps!”).